which side of history will i be on?
the idea of the world pulling itself in opposite directions is one that may be more apparent and intense with the advent of a 24 news cycle, but i have trouble believing that this hasn’t been a sentiment with every civilization in the history of our planet. we have conservatives and democrats, india and pakistan, north and south korea, catholic and muslim, cat people and dog people. our views put us at odds, and now with the advent of social media and 24 hour news, we have gasoline thrown on every spark that may not have lit.
we find differences instead of commonalities. we search for superiority without discovering compatriots. we criticize, we abuse and we enslave. and those of us that don’t actively participate, passively consent. we have become a world pitted against each other, and instead of looking for good, and hope, and promise, we’ve allowed greed and power to consume our priorities.
none of us consider ourselves evil. we all believe in what we do, tacitly or actively. we believe that our mores are the right ones. the problem is, we believe the opposition is wrong. we do not see enough space in the world for us and them. it’s either we win or we lose.
here is what i believe. it is my being.
- I believe that the earth and all it’s inhabitants are to be treasured.
- I believe I must respect my fellow humans.
- I believe love is kindness and forgiveness.
- I believe my highest calling is to work hard at work worth doing.
- I believe that life is found in gardens, animals, children, and nature.
- I believe that purpose is built, not found.
- I believe that peace is created, and must be maintained.
- I believe that those you’ve surrounded yourself with are a reflection of you.